- Do you know the area of Antarctica continent keeps changing as per seasons! It is approximately 14.2 million square kilometers in summer, but during winter it almost doubles because of large amount of sea ice that forms along its periphery .
- Antarctica is a frozen land area around the South Pole.It is also called “Frozen Continent” . Antarctica is the highest, driest, windiest, emptiest, coldest place on earth.
- Antarctica contains 75% of the ice in the world.It is estimated that ice is 4 km thick. It looks all white, that is why it is also known as “White Contnent”. Antarctica also contains about 70% of the world’s fresh water
- Antarctica is the windiest continent on earth.
- The water of the Antarctica is so cold that nothing can rot here.
- The coldest natural temperature ever recorded in the world was in Antarctica. It was as low as –89.2°C (–129°F) .
- Winters in Antarctica last from May through August.The average winter temperature is -70 degree C in the interior and -30 degree C at the coast.December to February are the summer months here, the average temperature is -35 degree C in the interior and 2 degree C at the coasts.
- Antarctica has no cities, villages or farms.The only permanent settlements are research bases, where scientist from different countries come and reside & do different types of research.