- Australia is the largest island (island is a place which is surrounded by water from all sides).It is also the smallest continent in the world. It is also known as “island continent”.
- Australia continent has only one country ,which is Australia itself.It lies entirely south of the equator and is called land down under.
- The name Australia comes from the Latin word australis which means Southern, it seems it was named as Southern place because it lies entirely south of equator. Today the full official name of Australia is Commonwealth of Australia.
- Two thirds of Australia is flat desert.
- Australia is home of three unique animals: platypus ,mammal that lays eggs, the kangaroo,which carries its young in a pouch,the emu ,a large bird that does not fly.
- Australia’s Great Barrier Reef is the world’s largest coral reef,it is made up of coral deposits & is about 2000 kilo meters long
- Australia is also known for its various type of Eucalyptus trees.There are over 500 varieties.
- Australia ‘s sheep population is more than its human population. Its sheep population is 14 times more than its human population.This is why Australia stands first in the production & export of wool in the world.
- Major Animals of Australia-Kangaroo, Koala ,Platypus, Emu